In this video, Ask This Old House landscaping expert Jenn Nawada explains how ground cover plants are a creative alternative to rocks and mulch, and then tells us about some of her favorite varieties.
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse.
Jenn Nawada teaches us all about groundcover plants, offering a creative alternative to mulch and rocks. Jenn points out that there are many different plants that can grow in areas where mowing or erosion are issues, as well as add a bit of interest throughout the yard. She teaches about juniper, microbiota, pachysandra, sedum John Creech, lilyturf, and other ground-covering plants. Jenn goes on to explain how she likes to use each of these plants, highlighting where and how they perform best.
Types of Ground Cover Plants
Juniper Procumbens [https://thd.co/3j0GnHk]
* An extremely durable evergreen
* Prefer full sun
* Can grow over walls and rocks and will grow together as a large, dense mat
* Deer and drought tolerant
* Soft, feathery evergreen foliage
* Rugged and drought tolerant
* Does well in sun, partial shade, and shade
* Only grows about a foot tall
* Extremely low maintenance and spreads rapidly
* Thrives in shady areas and is impartial to soil types
* Small white flower in spring
Sedum John Creech [https://bit.ly/3mSzPvt]
* Grows 1 to 2 inches high
* Creates a thick mat of succulent foliage
* Small pink flowers in the middle of summer
* Ideal for stone walls and walkways as it can take the heat of the stone
Liriope Spicata [https://bit.ly/3lEKUBf]
* Soft ground cover
* Has runners that travel and create a soft, dense mat
* Comes in variegated varieties for extra pops of color
* Good for naturalized settings
Where to find it?
Expert assistance with this segment was provided by Stonegate Gardens [https://www.stonegategardens.com/].
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House Insider to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
About Ask This Old House TV:
From the makers of This Old House, America’s first and most trusted home improvement show, Ask This Old House answers the steady stream of home improvement questions asked by viewers across the United States. Covering topics from landscaping to electrical to HVAC and plumbing to painting and more. Ask This Old House features the experts from This Old House, including general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Jenn Nawada, master carpenter Norm Abram, and host Kevin O’Connor. Ask This Old House helps you protect and preserve your greatest investment—your home.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
All About Ground Cover Plants | Ask This Old House