President Donald Trump announced the White House will, once again, deliver aid to several Central American countries after their governments entered into asylum agreements with the U.S.
The decision to provide “targeted assistance” to these countries is, at least somewhat, a reversal from the president’s decision earlier in 2019 to withhold hundreds of millions in economic aid to Central America — punishment against their governments for doing “nothing” to fix the immigration crisis.
“Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador have all signed historic Asylum Cooperation Agreements and are working to end the scourge of human smuggling. To further accelerate this progress, the U.S. will shortly be approving targeted assistance in the areas of law enforcement & security,” the president tweeted Wednesday.
The White House reportedly decided in June it would be diverting $370 million in aid that was for El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. The three countries, located in a region in Central America known as the Northern Triangle, are home to the bulk of the illegal immigrants reaching the U.S. southern border en masse and lodging asylum claims.
Trump Administration To Reinstate Aid To Central American Countries That Signed Asylum Deals | The Daily Caller
More from ImmigrationMore posts in Immigration »
- Illegal Alien Allegedly Killed A Teenager After Getting Released Repeatedly From Custody In Sanctuary CityIllegal Alien Allegedly Killed A Teenager After Getting Released Repeatedly From Custody In Sanctuary City
- Deported Felon, Child Sex Offender Arrested After Illegally Crossing U.S. Border
- Angel Moms to Congress: ‘You Are Co-Conspirators’ in Deaths of Our Kids
- Trump administration to sign asylum agreement with El Salvador | Fox News
More from International NewsMore posts in International News »
- If I Were the President, Here’s Why I Wouldn’t Trust Democrats Either
- Forcing same-sex ‘marriage’ on USA didn’t reduce teen suicides after all, study finds | News | LifeSiteForcing same-sex ‘marriage’ on USA didn’t reduce teen suicides after all, study finds | News | LifeSite
- Rudy Giuliani Weighs in On Ukraine, Biden Charges
- Meadows: The left is trying to throw every accusation at Trump
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
More from This is the LeftMore posts in This is the Left »